Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Questions answered..

I think the long and detailed description is meant to serve the function of drawing in the reader of the text with a realistic environment, because what comes after is anything but realism. For Ionesco's purposes, this was how he begins to unsettle his reader, by laying this groundwork. Do you have to follow his vision? You know the answer; you're right. Take it as YOU see it, but keep in mind who's len's to view through...Brecht. In your journals you can definitly begin to see the scene and visualize how you would out it up...but again, don;t lose sight of the objective of the assignment. You are attempting to read Rhinocerous through the newly opened eyes of one who now knows about Brecht, alienation and his purpose for theatre, and communicate that new knowedge though your reflecitons on your reading. So, think about WHY you would make the choice you are pondering. For example, think baout how well it serves the script to have this extremely well defined, normal looking place, when what happens is anything but normal...and yet, the players reaction to the events...etc...I don't want to give the plot away if you haven't read the whole thing yet...Let me stop before I say too much.

2 comments:

Aaron R said...

That's true, we'll probably have a lot more to say once we actually read everything.

I guess Ionesco did a Brechtian style Brecht never thought of which is a highly realistic set with absurd action. It can have the same effect eh? But I think I'm in favor of a slightly simplified set in my imagined production.

ReJEcht said...
This comment has been removed by the author.