Thursday, February 28, 2008

A day to give thanks...

35 years ago today, the world was touched by genius, one whose indelible mark has been made upon hundreds and hundreds of students, all of whom I hope are working hard on their Practical Performance Proposal. A great birthday gift for Mrs. Cook would be questions/concerns for her to think about regarding your PPP or Independent Project while she in enjoying her husband-baked lemon cake...

6 comments:

Aaron R said...

You are so goofy Mrs. Cook! But happy birthday!! anyway.

For the Practical Performance piece we have only 250 words total?? Can we give captions t pictures or tableus we draw or is the idea to have just a bit of text and mostly a ton of different visuals??

For the Independent project, yes we really really really really really should have done Seagull, it would have been ridiculously helpful and a perfect opportunity... However, at the time it sounded more like some little distant thought, not something that we had formulated or understood how to do. No matter, those birds have flown and we are left to consider what to do. I think writing and writing about writing would be a really cool thing... But so would writing about creating a character, but Ragtime simply does not have terribly interesting characters... So I suppose I'll give a crack at writing something and writing about writing it... It is a really wild but quite logical approach to improvement and critical reflection of one's own abilities. Any suggestions on what sort of piece I should try to write?

Cook said...

Yes. Your "pitch" can only be 250 words. The idea is to summarize your vision in your pitch, and to include a ton of visuals and samples to illustrate aspects of your vision. Take a look at the list of suggested support materials in the materials I gave you.

For the IP, as long sa the piece is something that can be performed as a piece of theatre, you're in the ballpark. My advice to anyone writing anything is to write about what you care about. THe best piece I ever wrote in high school was the one that mirrored my experience. It was meaningful and ricg, because I was writing about where I was at the time. Think baout what you care about. THink about what is on your mind right now. What conflict, better yet, are you the most richly aware of in life that you could maybe explore. It could be a one man show, a series of scenes between two people, a full-fledged one act...it is wide open. I know you hate to hear that! Think about who you'd like your audience to be and what message you'd like to send to them. Most playwrites begin with something that they want to communicate to the audience. The play's the vehicle they use to communicate that message.

ReJEcht said...

Happy birthday Mrs. Cook. Did you really bake your husband into a lemon cake? What a charming notion, infinitely practical and emminently possible as always.
... But seriously. For the IP, I was thinking about writing my dead goldfish piece (Every officer has to write a one-act starting and ending with the line "The goldfish are dead") and wanted to know if this was acceptable because I am taking ideas from other people. If it's not, I can write about directing my piece or costuming my players, or even something completely different.

Cook said...

I think you'd hava a lot more to write about if you chose one of the performance aspects. The directing one directly relates to what we have learned/practiced in class, from the theoretical to the practical level. I think the directing aspect has the most to offer this project. Anything practical will be infinitly more straight forward that writing about writing.
And, by the way, baked husband lemon cake recipe is available at MrsLovittyummyeats.com...A Sweeney Todd birthday treat!

Aaron R said...

Our supporting material can be in the form of just pages of drawings right?

Cook said...

yes Aaron, but keep in mind that there needs to be some kind of order and logic to it.
It will be judged by a person who will not be able to ask you to explain things, so try to clear and professional in presentation.